Most people I interact with to feel strongly about climate change, conservation and sustainability and want to do things to make a difference. Here are a list of ideas with which each of us can contribute individually.
1. SAVE ENERGY & WATER
- Change your light bulbs from incandescent to CFL or LED. This one thing is going to reduce your energy bills drastically. This is not only good for the environment but good for your pocket.
- Turn the lights off when you leave the room.
- Use energy efficient appliances. Look for the blue energy star logo.
- Wash your clothes in warm water instead of hot.
- Air dry the clothes if you can.
- Set the thermostat a couple of degrees less.
- Caulk and weatherstrip all your doors and windows. Insulate your walls and ceilings.
- Use the dishwasher only when it's full.
- Install low-flow shower heads.
- Turn down the thermostat on the water heater.
- If possible, install solar panels.
- Adjust your computer’s settings to shut down after being idle for a certain amount of time.
- Turn off unused electronics like coffee maker.
- Car pool if you can or use public transport.
2. RECYCLE & REUSE & REDUCE
- Use double-sided printing.
- Print rough drafts and informal memos on the unused side of paper that would otherwise be thrown out (draft paper.
- Load laser printer paper trays with draft paper.
- Reuse draft and computer paper for notes and scrap paper.
- Use digital signatures on documents.
- Buy products made from recycled paper, plastic etc.
- View and pay your bills online.
- Say no to plastic bags.
- Buy wine from a nearby vineyard or beer from a neighborhood brewery.
- Cake from a local bakery.
- Use seasonal flowers.
- Grocery from farmers market or food co-ops in your area.
6. Plant a tree